Chomp is a leader in converting food waste into renewable energy through anaerobic digestion (AD). We manufacture and sell community-scale, prefabricated systems that convert food waste, liquids, and other organic materials into renewable energy and fertilizer with zero waste. Our goal is to remove 85 million tCO2e/year of global GHGs and we’re making progress.
This role is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Vashon Bioenergy Farm, located on Vashon Island in the Puget Sound. The position will fulfill standard plant operations, horticulture management, facilitating biofertilizer refills, and serving as the main point of contact with our partner and customer at Island Spring Organics, located directly adjacent to our farm.
- General oversight of the facility, including:
- Daily food waste transfer to the facility’s AD system (this may occasionally require work on weekends)
- Oversight of the AD system’s health and stability
- Operation of the facility’s biogas, renewable natural gas (RNG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) systems
- Management of the facility’s biofertilizer production and distribution
- Daily datalogging of the facility’s key metrics, including responsibility for uploading data to the cloud and/or otherwise communicating it in a timely manner to Chomp’s facility support team
- General maintenance as necessary and prescribed in the operator handbook
- Collaboration with the Research and Development team on trials conducted at the facility, including fertilizer production and remote monitoring implementation
- Consistent communication with Manufacturing and R&D teams; participation in team calls/meetings
- Grounds maintenance around the digester
- Planting, watering, and harvesting our test vegetation
- Basic sample collection and analysis
We are looking for someone who:
- Is a creative problem-solver; able to work independently, troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Is familiar with tools/power tools and is comfortable with minor repair of plumbing, electrical systems and associated equipment
- Is a strong communicator with an interest in regular correspondence when working independently and as part of a larger team
- Is proactive and reliable - interested in adhering to operational protocols and tackling and communicating problems as they arise
- Is eager and willing to learn in areas in which you may not have experience, including basic biology, chemistry, electronics, etc.
- Has 3-5 years experience in commercial landscaping, maintenance or facilities management (preferred)
- Has experience with digital data collection (preferred)
Chomp provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information or other protected status. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is an adjustment to our standard application and/or interview process which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Chomp. Please inform firstname.lastname@example.org if you are requesting an accommodation to complete any forms or otherwise participating in the application process.