Chomp is a leader in converting food waste into renewable energy through anaerobic digestion (AD). We manufacture and sell community-scale, prefabricated systems that convert food waste, liquids, and other organic materials into renewable energy and fertilizer with zero waste.
You will join our engineering and research & development teams and work with our engineers to expand the process controls and remote monitoring capabilities of our renewable energy and biofertilizer production systems. You will also assist in the development of new nutrient recovery and wastewater treatment technologies.
- Work with our R&D and engineering teams’ plans to coordinate the design, implementation and cloud-integration of control systems into SCADA architectures such as Ignition or VTScada
- Program and develop HMI interfaces for Chomp’s products and collaborate with our operations staff to troubleshoot and improve their performance
- Work with Chomp’s management and R&D teams to develop improved data acquisition tools optimized to enable continual process refinement, improve carbon monitoring, and monitor Chomp’s suite of environmentally sustainable products
- Analyze data to troubleshoot problems with processes/hardware, identify opportunities for improvement, and establish best practices
- Provide technical assistance to Chomp’s R&D team, working to iteratively build and improve the company’s developing technologies related to nutrient recovery, energy production and evolving sustainability efforts
- Develop training and standard operating procedures to improve our product offering and further enable the success of our clients
- Occasional travel to Seattle metro area for engineering team and company meetings
- Perform occasional field work
Controls Engineer Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Manufacturing, Electrical, or Mechanical Engineering preferred
- 2 to 4 years of work experience in a related field
- Proficient in computer-aided design and drafting software
- Familiarity with Underwriters Laboratories (UL)/Conformité Européenne (CE) standards for design
- Ability to do some in-field work. (This could be very helpful with our current system on Vashon that does not have remote access, or if we ever want to upgrade some older systems for expanded monitoring and data collection)
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with Automation Direct’s ClickPlus PLC programming preferred
- Familiarity with Ignition SCADA and HMI programming preferred
- Familiarity with variable frequency drive (VFD) programming and integration
- Familiarity with cloud integration of controls and data acquisition systems
Chomp provides equal employment opportunities to all without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including sexual orientation or gender identity), national origin, age, disability, genetic information or other protected status. Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is an adjustment to our standard application and/or interview process which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on Chomp. Please inform firstname.lastname@example.org if you are requesting an accommodation to complete any forms or otherwise participating in the application process.